Monday, March 28, 2011

Turetzky Choir - "Kosher Potpourri"

May I be extra petty this morning? I saw this more first than you.



Things to note:

The actual translation of "Кошерное попурри" is Kosher Medley. But isn't Kosher Potpourri that much more, I dunno, fragrant? And isn't it cool that there are two "r"s ("p"s) in the Russian spelling of potpourri too?

See 1:47 and the scrolling text on the back-of-stage screen. What does it say? It says "סימן טוב ומזל טוב". Only it says "בוט לזמו בוט ןמיס".

Speaking of starting words with Nun Sofit,* I saw a tallis bag in shul this morning with the initials: .מ.י.ן Now, is he a מין? Probably not. Does his last name begin with a Nun Sofit? No.

Another thing--and I was reminded of this as I typed "Nun Sofit" instead of "Lange Nun"--a random person walked over to another random person and asked if he might comment on Person Two's Kabbolas Shabbos hav'ara. This was all in 770, so we'll assume this backstory: Person One davened in a minyan led by Person Two. Okay.

So, Person Two was obviously an American Baal Teshuva and Person One was possibly an Israeli Baal Teshuva and possibly not, but he was pretty insistent but also rather patient about it. I was just standing behind, listening as he outlined the Komatz Gadol (BAH-rooch AH-TAH), Komatz Koton (KOL Yisrah-el, OM-nahm); Shva na, Shva noch, Rav Moshe Feinstein's assertion that it is preferable to choose a hav'ara that is not necessarily the common one of the shul over mixing and matching throughout the Tefilla, and a correspondence of the Rebbe with Rav Moshe on the topic. All while I wrapped up my Rash"i Tefillin. How awesome are your works, Oy L-rd?

I'm pretty sure I've read all of the published correspondence between Rav Moshe and the Rebbe and this conversation wasn't any of them. Person One did preface it with "I even think..."

Is it true that the common pronunciation "Tzaddik" is from the tendency to say "Tzadi-Kuf"? Or is there an actual letter "Tzaddik"?

HT:Ber-hyphen-Bom, SK, YA
__________________________
*OOOOPS! Embarrassing. I kept typing "Chof Sofit" where I meant "Nun". Thanks Brrr.
**I made a number of other non-issue tweaks to this post during lunch. Good bloggering dictates I admit this. Slate has a cutesy (read: self-conscious) Err-o-meter or such that tracks the site's mistakes. It's dumb, in my opinion.

2 comments:

Peretz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peretz said...

Some interesting background:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choir_of_Michael_Turetsky
http://www.arthor.ru/eng/