Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Gut Fune Avrohom - Yehuda Exclamation Point

A prayer recited in many communities at the conclusion of Shabbos, after Havdala. It is a tremendously beuatiful "techina" with a lovely, lovely tune. Sung by Yehuda Exclamation Point which is something of a de riguer downer. I don't know what de riguer means but I believe I used it correctly. If you think I didn't, you probably thought I meant something else.



Because we rarely post after Shabbos and it's weird to post a Bye-Bye Shabbos Lichovos Shabbos, ya know how do I mean?
_________________
Krechtz. Why the suffering, Man? And why the pain?

3 comments:

Avi said...

Yeah, I used it wrong, but at least it wasn't spelled right... :)

De rigueur: Required. I meant Ex vi termini: By definition.

But, now looking I see the context of the oft-cited "ex-nihilo" as in "yesh me'ayin". It comes from the Latin phrase "Ex nihilo nihil fit," meaning Nothing comes from Nothing, as in, There is no such thing as Yesh Me'ayin.

Aha, but they never saw this Ayin ;.)

Anonymous said...

BS"D

The suffering and the pain reflects the feelings people had when they recited or sang this in the worst times in Europe.

On Shabbos, they were immersed in kedusha, and could forget hunger and persecution for a day. Once it was over, and they finished singing this, it was back to the precarious existence of those horrible times.

They hoped for chessed and mazel, and brocho and hatzlocho, but even gezunt was not a given in those days when a simple infection, like strep throat or an infected cut that today is treated with antibiotics meant death or permanent disability.

Avi said...

Thanks for that insightful comment!
a